Mapping the major catchments of Namibia
Catchments are often used as basic units in landscape ecological studies including studies on hydrology and socio-economy. Similar studies are currently being undertaken in Namibia. A large amount of information is available on many of the catchments of river systems in Namibia, yet no detailed map of the catchments in Namibia exists.
SRTM DTM data and available GIS data on the main rivers in Namibia was used to calculate a semi-detailed catchment map for Namibia using available standard routines. 57 catchments, in some cases forming sub-catchments to other major catchments, were mapped, and their surface area calculated.
Draft information is available below:
- Draft paper describing the catchment mapping process [pdf 3.9 Mb]
- Strohbach, B.J. 2008.Mapping the Major Catchments of Namibia. Agricola, 63-73. [pdf 1.0 MB]
- GIS shapefile and legend file [zip 246 kb]
- Catchments map (A4) [pdf 500 kb]
- Catchments map (A0) [pdf 3.2 Mb]